southbound food is the new local food radio talk show hosted by bryan caswell of REEF and little bigs and sports talk show host, lance zierlein on 1560 AM the game. bryan caswell, recently awarded the 2009 best new chef award by food and wine magazine and given his own official houston holiday ( july 21st now goes down in h-town history as bryan caswell day), can seem to do no wrong these days. the show has started with great personalities and momentum and is truly entertaining, albeit a tad racy, and definitely hilarious.
the first test show aired last weekend with special guests, jonathan jones from beavers and mark musatto from airline seafood. this week jonathan jones returned with bobby heugel from anvil and me. ME!
show two first aired last night, again twice today, and tomorrow at 9AM and 6PM. tune into 1560 AM or stream it live from their website. if you haven't been able to catch it and can't wait until tomorrow to tune in, i have the podcast links for you here. there are three segments and i promise the show gets funnier and funnier with each click.
after you listen in, please let the producers know how you feel. leave a comment here or send an email or tweet to lance zierlein. the show will eventually find a permanent time slot on saturday. i'll keep you updated on that! the show is now accepting advertisers too (contact lance for more info). and i'm happy to announce that i've already been invited back to do another show!
Some of you have been anxiously awaiting these Pork Belly Throwdown announcements.
And the judges are...
- Jenny Wang (@imneverfull) - 002 Magazine food writer & I'm Never Full food blogger
- Chris Shepherd (@cshepherd13) - chef/owner of Catalan Food & Wine
- Teresa Byrne-Dodge (@MyTableMagazine) - editor & publisher of My Table Magazine, author of The Ultimate Food Lover's Guide to Houston
- J.C. Reid (@houston_foodie) - food blogger for Houston Press' Eating Our Words and Houston Foodie
- Misha Govshetyn (@tastybitz) - Tasty Bits food blogger
- Justin Basye (@justinbasye) - chef de cuisine, VOICE (*WILD CARD)
And more importantly, the chefs that will be competing are...
- Randy Evans (@havenchef), chef/owner of Haven (opening this fall)
- Jason Gould (@chefjasongould), chef/owner of Gravitas
- Matthew Gray, chef de cuisine of Chez Roux @ La Torretta Del Lago
- Manubu "Hori" Horiuchi, executive chef at Kata Robata
- Jonathan Jones (@PapaBeav), chef/owner of Beaver's
- Ronnie Killen (@ze1chef), chef/owner of Killen's Steakhouse
- Paul Lewis, executive chef of Cullen's Upscale American Grille
- Ryan Pera, executive chef at The Grove
- Randy Rucker (@greensandbeans), executive chef at Rainbow Lodge
- Cody Vasek, sous chef at VOICE
- Jose Luis Vela, chef de cuisine at Mockingbird Bistro
- Antoine Ware (@catalansous), sous chef at Catalan
complete event details on the official website.
- live uni demo & tasting of live uni with olive oil, persimmon vinegar & chive
- raw uni with smoked miso & brown butter
- baby white geoduck clam & a vinaigrette made from uni, meyer lemon & caramel oil
- lots of different eggs both hot & cold
- almond gnocchi with caviar, coddled buttermilk & uni
- slow poached iowa pork belly seasoned with carbonized onion powder & then re-seared, creamed kimchee & uni toast
- sea urchin frozen yogurt & our papaya ceviche
- uni & white chocolate
this menu is totally *sick* right? 20 attendees max & there are still spots left. RSVP here.
in this round, the throwdown will be more iron chef than throwdown with bobby flay. this time, we have a (not-so) secret ingredient and the chefs will choose to prepare the ingredient anyway they choose as long as it's the main ingredient in the dish. judging criteria will be based on originality, plating, and taste.
and how fun would pork be without beans? (or really, the other way around.) houston chowhounds amateur chefs will competing in a battle beans potluck that the real chefs will be judging. houchies can register to compete on the chowhound discussion board.
the event will be hosted by chris shepherd at catalan on mon, aug 17th. tickets will be $25 each and will go on sale on mon, july 20th after competing chefs and judges are announced. ticket proceeds remaining after covering food costs will benefit the charles v. blanton community garden in the 1st ward.
jonathan jones, the host of our last throwdown; the FCTD throwdown champions, randy evans and cody vasek; and antoine ware, catalan's sous chef, will be guaranteed entry in this throwdown. the remaining spots will be determined by lottery. the registration deadline for chefs to enter the lottery is july 17th @ 5pm.
a wild card judge will also be chosen for the judging panel. if you would like to be considered, please submit a short essay on "why you should be a PBTD judge" to email@example.com by july 17th @ 5pm.
event details, registration information, and judging criteria have been posted here. check the bottom of that webpage, join the houston chowhound discussion board, or follow @imneverfull on twitter for PBTD news and announcements.